In the Enemy Camp.

((ooc 18th Cloudreach 9.35 with ))

Daniel followed the Warden that had travelled back with him and the other three, Two weeks on a boat listening to them yammer and then when they asked her any questions about what it was like being a Warden, all they got in response was "you will see soon enough." He had heard that they were grim and stoic. Or maybe she was just not very forthcoming, who knew, actually who cared? he was not here to be friendly, he had a job to do, but for now he would have to act like the new recruit. 

However to say that he was not awed by the sight of the Vigil would be a lie. He had heard stories about the Grey Wardens Stronghold in Ferelden but never had he imagined that the tales of the Vigil would be mightier than the words spoken. She was indeed a sight and as he looked around him he could see why the Wardens had this as thier base of operations. 

The woman ….. Alessandra that was it, she took them into the mess hall "Go grab some food no doubt you are hungry and um well ship rations don't cut it really.

"I feel like i can eat a hog." One of the recruits with him joked. 

"Yes and you probably will too" Alessandra remarked before going to get her own food and sit at a table in the corner. The recruits looked at each other and shrugging got thier food and, went and sat with her, wether she wanted the company or not, she was the only one who could tell them where to go next. 

"Is this it? do you just leave us to our own devices?" Daniel asked. 

"No, You're arrival has been noted, the Quartermaster will be down to see you soon enough, he will assign you your bunks, and your mentors." Lessa sighed "Any questions before i can relax and eat my food?

Daniel listened as the other recruits threw a barrage of questions at their guide. Were there many Wardens in Ferelden? No Ferelden has one of the smaller orders, Has she ever been to Wieshaupt? Not unless you pay me enough gold and silver, and he supposed the big question, when did they get to fight the darkspawn to which they got told when thier mentor or the Warden Commander told them. She didn't talk anymore after that. 

Daniel watched the other wardens around them chatting, drinking and eating, Maker they ate a lot then again as he looked at the portions on his plate he thought he might need to go for a run later, he had no idea that the taint that was now in his body was doing the job that a thousand training sessions would do. No one had told him about that.

A little later once they had three or four helpings and no one batted an eyelid at the way they ate thier first warden meal, they'd been through it all before themselves, Lessa looked up, heaved a sigh and taking her tray bid them farewell and walked away. Daniel glanced over his shoulder to see a man walk in and he seemed be the only one that got that reaction from her, cause all the other men she had nodded or greeted cordially. 

One of his group started talking about the chant and wondered if the Chant of Light was spoken by the Wardens, then they recited a verse that showed thier ignorance of such a holy work and, quietly, and not as forcefully as his pious heart would have liked at such a insult Daniel corrected them. The others looked at him and arched an eyebrow. He had corrected them as a Templar might an initiate but done it in a way that left them thinking he was from a religious background. Daniel lifted a shoulder in a shrug and carried on with his food. 

Daniels text 97526d
Life since Henri-Julien's return to Vigil's Keep was... unremarkable. Given that he and Velanna had been absent for some weeks, it was somewhat galling that no one had noticed. Really, was it any wonder that the Fereldan Order lurched from crisis to crisis when led in this manner? Even Commander Berlra had not made any comment on the glaring omissions of detail in Henri-Julien's report, merely grunting an acknowledgement. However, since that served Henri-Julien's purposes, he had decided to overlook it. It was hardly a secret that the Commander had sent them to Orzammar to be temporarily rid of them while ructions with the Amaranthine Chantry rumbled on.

Ructions which did not appear to have been resolved, Henri-Julien noted with some distant unease. It did not seem to bother the Commander. Just before Henri-Julien had turned to go, he had gestured that the man should take a small box from a nearby shelf. Inside was a month's worth of lyrium. The dwarf had muttered something about having secured a reliable source of lyrium to prevent any unnecessary withdrawal-related incidents again. Surprised beyond even his sneering nature, Henri-Julien had merely thanked the Commander and immediately taken the box to his room, hiding it away. 

Now, before he commenced on his daily duties - namely, noting what Theirin had not achieved in his extended absence - Henri-Julien was attending midday meal. No sooner had he arrived in the hall than Alessandra rose from where she was sitting and walked away. Normally, Henri-Julien would have rolled his eyes, but the events of Kinloch Hold had been chilling to say the least. He would not have wished to spend time with someone who had witnessed private feelings laid bare in some blood-controlled haze.

He would have disregarded the new faces at the table had he not caught the sharp correction of a misquote from the Chant of Light. Only someone belonging to the Chantry would have caught that. Interest piqued, he paused mid-step, glancing towards the corner. It was straight-forward to identify the one who had spoken. A Templar. Like recognised like, after all - even if Henri-Julien was still wrestling with a realignment of his faith.

Fetching a tray filled with food, Henri-Julien approached the corner table, ignoring the others in favour of focusing on the Templar. As a Senior Warden (by Fereldan standards), he did not ask permission to join them, but he did incline his head courteously towards the stranger.

"Well-met," he remarked, picking up his fork. "Newly arrived?" It was unlikely any of the Amaranthine Templars would be joining the Grey Wardens right now, so he must have come from further afield. Yet to say that Henri-Julien was put out by this particular arrival was not untrue. What was surprising was that it was less with regards his own standing within the Keep, having been the onlyTemplar stationed here, and more a concern over what this might mean for the delicate balance with the Warden mages. Well, a Warden mage. Still, he could not deny that where once he might have celebrated an ally against the reckless freedom granted to apostates, now he was wary of how it might lead to needless upheaval. "You are the first I have ever heard in this place accurately recite that particular verse."
"Well-met, Newly arrived?"

Daniel didn't take a lot of notice of the stranger that sat at his...thier table without a by or leave, until that is he raised his gaze. Storm cloud grey eyes met pale blue and it didn't take but a moment for Daniel to realise he was looking at another Templar. His bearing, his mannerism spoke volumes really. When he had been briefed on the Vigil by Meredith, he had only been told of one former Templar and even that had been a stretch to call him that. The man had been a hero of the Blight, the bastard son of King and had not even taken his vows. No one had told him there was another Templar there of the same calibre. 

Was this to be his contact? No, no the Knight Commander had said he would be met by someone who was not associated with either order. Picking up his tankard he took a long swallow, the ale was good even if the land smelt like wet dog. it really did, or maybe that was what all smelt who did not come from Ferelden, Daniel had never smelt it on the refugees who came from here that was for certain. 

"A couple of hours ago." Daniel replied, his Starkhaven accent well spoken, crisp and the words said in a precise manner. An accent and a tone that spoke of his own heritage, Templar aside, he was the son of a Lord and lady after all, his mother would reach out and box his ears if he did not speak properly. Meredith had said his parents would be informed that they could no longer contact him, that his duties had now taken him far from the Marches although they would not be told where, after all a Templars sacred duty was to go where the Chantry required them to go. 

"You are the first I have ever heard in this place accurately recite that particular verse."

Well if he wasn't sure before he was now. Daniel was not going to hide that he had been a Templar, there was no point in it really. He just had to keep a lid on why he had joined the Order. Seeing as the recruiter was not that bothered about his reasons as to why and how, he had seemed more interested in getting him joined for transfer to the Ferelden Order. He supposed had he been joined by the Orleasian Order then they might have been a bit more stringent about things. The only thing the recruiter had done was ask if he could fight and if he was married or anything.  The answers had been yes and certainly not. 

"The Starkhaven Monasteries Revered Mother was, very particular on the recruits learning those verses to the letter." He replied "that and my mother gave me the chant of light before i read anything else." That was true enough as well. "But i am sure you are aware of the Monasteries strict religious studies no?

Meredith had outlined his reasons for joining the order as far as the Wardens were concerned, if anyone asked he was to use the killing of a mage as a reason. He couldn't say he was Blighted because he wasn't and had no marks to say he was or wound. That would be a red alert there and then, of course he couldn't use the exact words killing a mage so he would have to work around it. It wouldn't matter she would ensure he had back up, somewhere along the line. One did not question the Knight Commander.  Daniel would never question the Knight Commander, she had been good to him. 

"We were brought over by the charming young lady who just left. How long you been here, brother." He added quietly. 

That the stranger - and those he sat with, not that Henri-Julien paid them any heed - had only arrived that day confirmed that they had arrived from somewhere other than Ferelden. The distinctive burr of the man's voice revealed him as from Starkhaven even before he explained his precise understanding of the Chant.

"The Starkhaven Monasteries Revered Mother was, very particular on the recruits learning those verses to the letter." Yes, given the extreme piety of the city, Henri-Julien could believe it. "That and my mother gave me the chant of light before i read anything else." Again, unsurprising. But it did serve to provide further information about the origins of the other man: from Starkhaven, and a nobleman of some degree. Had the stranger been from any other city, Henri-Julien might have judged that he had bought his way into the Templars, but even Henri-Julien had to acknowledge the devotion of Starkhaven citizens. He doubted any of the clergy would tolerate anything less than complete devotion. Something which, in the past, Henri-Julien would have regarded as something to aspire towards. Now, he was not so sure. "But i am sure you are aware of the Monasteries strict religious studies no?"

"I am." He spoke with his customary haughtiness. Some things would never change. 

"We were brought over by the charming young lady who just left." Well, 'charming' was a matter of opinion - a very mistaken opinion. It didn't seem that the dry delivery of the man was deliberate; he spoke as he found, Henri-Julien suspected. "How long you been here, brother."

Rather than answer with the obvious response, Henri-Julien opted to emphasise a more pertinent detail. "I am a Senior Warden here." His years of service did not matter when he held that title. He did not expand that five years of being a Grey Warden would barely have him above recruit status in any other country, save perhaps the Anderfels. Any Warden serving in a country which did not regularly experience darkspawn activity could not truly claim to be tried and tested. A disconcerting notion given that it meant he could never hope to rival Theirin as a Grey Warden. Fortunately, there were countless other achievements which Henri-Julien held of which the would-be Templar could not even dream.

Lowering his voice, Henri-Julien addressed an important point. "What arrangements have been made for your lyrium intake?" Part of his own troubles had been caused by no one realising what he required to maintain his health. He would not knowingly allow another Templar to endure the withdrawal which had ravaged him. "The are currently... tensions... which mean such matters require a delicate hand to navigate."
If anyone else was bothered by Henri's reply of "I am", Daniel certainly wasn't. It just showed the breeding of the man and he was able, for a little bit to relax although not too much. Thankfully the Knight Commander had chosen him for his discretion at many things as well as his devotion to the Chantry and the Order. 

"I am a Senior Warden here." Henri announced, and it made the other recruits at the table glance over. 

Daniel. however was not as cowed as the other recruits who had come with him. Of course this man would be a Senior Warden, why would he not be? At least this Order noted superior skills when it saw it. 

When next he spoke, Henri lowered his voice so that only Daniel could hear him, if he wondered what was going on, Daniel got his answer and was grateful for the discretion, not everyone needed to know the sacrifice Templars made to become what they were. Grey Wardens thought they knew all about sacrifice, bah

"What arrangements have been made for your lyrium intake?" There it was, the first tough question to answer, and an answer that Daniel could not easily give. he had been told by Meredith that once he filed his reports he would be given a draught, but it would still raise questions as to where he got it from? . "There are currently... tensions... which mean such matters require a delicate hand to navigate." Thankfully Daniel had a natural poker face so when Henri mentioned about the tensions he merely arched an eyebrow. 

"I am, ok for now." Daniel kept his tone low "although i suspect i will have to discuss my, need with either the Warden Commander or healer when i need to. The recruiter never asked, he was just eager to get the Joining over and done with and send us on our way.

Daniel had heard about the withdrawal effects and he had no wish to put himself through that. He could endure a fair amount but that, that would not be pleasant and not something he wanted to even attempt. However he did log the nugget of information away in the back of his brain about the current tensions. Daniel finished his meal and pushed the plate to one side. he had eaten enough although he gave a heavy sigh when one of the others made a beeline for the serving area ready for another full plate. 

"What would you recommend?

If nothing else it would make the not explaining where he got the Lyrium he would need from after his supply ran out a lot easier if he had another source. Daniel really did not want to have to go down the road of having to explain where he got that other source from. 
With a raise of his brow, presumably over the mention of 'tensions', Daniel nevertheless was upfront about his lyrium intake. "I am, ok for now," he followed Henri-Julien's lead by lowering his voice, "although i suspect i will have to discuss my, need with either the Warden Commander or healer when i need to. The recruiter never asked, he was just eager to get the Joining over and done with and send us on our way."

"We are few within the Order," Henri-Julien remarked. "Our specific need is not something which the majority of Wardens consider. The healers will not be able to help, however. Not for the moment." Such easy access to lyrium had been eliminated.

"What would you recommend?" The other man asked as the other recruits turned back to their own conversation. One even went to fetch another plateful of food although Daniel had pushed his emptied plate to one side.

"I will see to it." His reasons were two-fold: firstly, Henri-Julien did not, in fact, know anything of the arrangement that Commander Berlra had made. This newly arrived recruit might place an unintended pressure of the supply. But secondly, he had just stated his status as a Senior Warden. It would undermine his position if he were to dismiss the need of a more junior Grey Warden. "You will not be left in need."

The tug of the Fade penetrated Henri-Julien's senses. On the far side of the dining hall, one of the mage Wardens had summoned a fire spell, reheating a bowl of soup to a more desirable temperature. Still, where once Henri-Julien would have reacted, shooting a warning glare over his shoulder, he now shrugged off the sensation, recognising the use of magic as only minor.

"You are familiar with the attitude of the Order towards using magic?" he asked of the young man. Not that Henri-Julien believed that most of the apostates in the Keep did not deserve regular reminders of the danger they posed themselves and others, but he had experienced the futility of maintaining that belief within these walls. No one, save for he, held such views. And even Henri-Julien was beginning to realise he did not hold so fast to the notion as he once had...
His comrades obviously realising that this conversastion was not for thier ears went back to thier inane conversastion and they even tried once to pull Daniel into thier conversastion about what life would be like "living outside the authorities rules" If that was how they saw it, it was no wonder he ignored them. He had been told all he needed to know about the order, he didn't need anyone else joying it up. When they realised he was not going to join in thier group hive mind they let him be, not really taking offence, after all the recruiter had said everyone dealt with things differently when they were first joined to the order. 

"I will see to it. You will not be left in need." That, that was a welcome comment. He had not expected the other Templar to be so, helpful in this but, it was a relief to know he could rely on something to aid his duties. 

"My thanks, i should be fine for a month or so." He thought about the box in his backpack and looked at the backpack for a moment. He also glanced at his bows but they were out the way of the other clodhoppers around here so they were safe, All that remained of his former life was in that pack. His Leather armour had been a gift from the Knight Commander given to him the day he left to undertake his mission. It was one of the most precious things he owned, aside from his longbow that is. 

His mind fizzled a moment and looking over his shoulder his eyes scanned the table that had drawn Henri-Julien's attention and, as poker faced as he was even he could not hide his horror at, unchallenged Mage behaviour. Did these idiots not realise the dangers they posed? did they not care about the demons waiting to feast on mage flesh and soul? and the death and destruction they could cause with thier stupidity?. 

"You are familiar with the attitude of the Order towards using magic?" Again that low voice and this time with a hint of warning, a powerful sentance in that he would have to learn that the Wardens were different. 

Daniel did not waver his gaze for a moment and one of said mages looked straight at him smiled in greeting, Daniel did not return the gesture, he just shook his head in a disbelieving motion and returned his attention to the older Templar before him. 

"I am familiar with thier brazen disregard for the dangers that unchecked magic use holds." He replied and rubbed his brow "This is, going to take some getting used to.

Everyone knew that the Wardens took who they wanted and in a Blight they certainly put that to use. Mages were also aware that under the Wardens they could live a life without being watched, this was a catastrophe waiting to happen, Daniel was sure of it. He picked his ale up once more and took a long draught before setting it down. He would have to walk and work alongside these people, it made his skin itch just thinking about it.  Yes take in mages as the Darkspawn had thier own mages that was a good idea but to leave them without proper protocols in place, it was not an easy thing to have to turn a blind eye to, but turn a blind eye he must, it was just going to take a while for both eyes to go blind it. maker what have i let myself in for? He thought to himself

"I am sure the Wardens have thier reasons." He added "How have you dealt with it? it cannot be easy for someone of your stature having to...." he jerked his thumb over his shoulder as yet another mage heated thier stew up this time "Deal with the morons who cannot understand what they are truly doing.

Kirkwall was more stricter on mages doing thier magics without supervision, and yes he had seen them re-heat tea or soup or stews, but always they were watched and always they were under the care and supervision of the Templars guarding them for thier own well being as well as everyone else's, Truly Meredith had not been wrong when she pointed out the flaws in the once mighty Grey Wardens. 

A thought struck him and shifting his position somewhat and still keeping that low tone asked "Does the Vigil have a chapel i can attend?" when Henri had said there were tensions, he wanted to know if there was a small chantry building here so he could tend to his own spiritual needs. 

Whereas Henri-Julien did not look towards the mages, Daniel kept his unwavering stare upon them. The slight shake of his head underscored his mistrust - something which Henri-Julien had also experienced during his first... well, even now, he maintained his wariness of magic. It was impossible to undo years of teaching in a few short months, no matter how much of a revelation those months had been.

"I am familiar with thier brazen disregard for the dangers that unchecked magic use holds," Daniel acknowledged, rubbing at his brow as though pained. Again, Henri0Julien empathised. "This is, going to take some getting used to."

"It will." What else could he say? The attitude of the Order was a complete anathema to that of the Chantry.

Lifting his tankard, Daniel took a fortifying sip of his ale. "I am sure the Wardens have thier reasons." But he retained his scepticism. "How have you dealt with it? it cannot be easy for someone of your stature having to...." He used his thumb to gesture towards another mage summoning their magic. "Deal with the morons who cannot understand what they are truly doing."

"Recall what the Chant of Light teaches," Henri-Julien advised. "Magic is intended to serve man. So long as each use of mana serves our purpose, you will have to bear it. Have faith in your abilities: you will know when magic is being used for harm." Those types of casting required substantial use of mana. Every Templar was attuned to the strain upon the Veil from such magic.

The mention of the Chant must have stirred other priorities for Daniel. "Does the Vigil have a chapel i can attend?"

Nodding, Henri-Julien set aside his own plate. "Yes, but it has no Chantry Sister. If you wish to participate in communal services, you will have to attend in Amaranthine." He gnawed briefly on his lip, gaze focusing into the vague middle distance. "I would advise that you send a request to the Revered Mother before attending." There was no guarantee that she would agree, but it held a better chance than if Daniel just turned up unannounced.

He stood up. "I will show you where you may find it. Vigil's Keep," he glanced up and around at the vast ceilings of the hall, older than even Ferelden itself, "can be a maze."
"Recall what the Chant of Light teaches, Magic is intended to serve man. So long as each use of mana serves our purpose, you will have to bear it. Have faith in your abilities: you will know when magic is being used for harm."

Daniel snorted for a moment, he shouldn't have to just deal with it, even now, sitting here for just a couple of hours he could see why his Knight Commander had sent him here. He had no idea what Merediths thoughts on the Order were, all she had really alluded to was Useful when they need to be but, she was not wrong about this blazon disregard to the laws the Chantry had set down ages past. 

"Why don't we give them pointed ears and send them to the Dailish, another group who.." Daniel started then stopped and rubbed his brow again. That was probably uncalled for but the sight had un-nerved him a little and angered him. Swallowing his disgust he inclined his head a little "Forgive me, i am still getting used to this buzzing in my head.

Daniel took on board what Henri had said about writing to the Revered Mother and resolved to do so as soon as he was able. For now the Chapel would have to do. besides it might do him some good to see the Revered Mother at somepoint. If only to get a handle on what the situation was here. All he knew for certain was, the Chantry were not happy with this branch of the Grey Warden Order. The whys and wherefores would be resolute in time he supposed. 

Daniel looked up as a tall man with an unshaven face came over. 

"Warden Hunter i presume?" He asked. Daniel nodded "I am Warden Layton one of the Quartermasters assistants, if you will come with me i will take you to your quarters. Senior Warden Burrows can come along if you like, he's been assigned as your mentor for the next few day until a more permanent solution can be found. Seeing as our esteemed warden likes to go walkabout as often as possible." 

Daniel finished his ale and picked his pack and his bows up "I am in your hands Ser.

"Hmmf" Layton snorted and waited for the two men to decide what they were doing. 
His advice had fallen on deaf ears. Daniel was still preoccupied with the blatant use of magic. 

"Why don't we give them pointed ears and send them to the Dailish, another group who.." He seemed to recall himself, massaging his temples. 

Studying him, Henri-Julien fought to keep his expression impassive. Yet even the Henri-Julien of three months ago would have been taken aback by the outburst. Not the comment about the Dalish - he still had reservations about all but one, and he had to fight the disquieting notion of betrayal at not speaking up on her behalf - but that the other man should be quite so militant over the use of magic. Only the most extreme Templars within Ferelden held a similar view. Perhaps this was the influence of the Gallows? Kirkwall was known to rule its mages with a gauntleted fist.

With a swallow, Daniel offered a slight nod of his head. "Forgive me, i am still getting used to this buzzing in my head."

"It is a trying transition," Henri-Julien remarked, neither comforting nor condemning. 

Any further discussion was interrupted by the arrival of another Warden. Clicking his tongue with annoyance, Henri-Julien eyed the rash of stubble across the other man's jaw - some might say with envy. He, however, maintained that it was simply a matter of standards. The fact that he could pass three or four days without requiring to shave was entirely beside the point.

"Warden Hunter i presume?" The man addressed Daniel, who nodded confirmation. "I am Warden Layton one of the Quartermasters assistants, if you will come with me i will take you to your quarters. Senior Warden Burrows can come along if you like, he's been assigned as your mentor for the next few day until a more permanent solution can be found. Seeing as our esteemed warden likes to go walkabout as often as possible."

The blatant dig at Theirin soothed Henri-Julien's prickled irritation over his lack of basic shaving routine. Although, and this was quite the revelation, he discovered that he did not take quite so much gleeful joy in it. Almost as if his disdain of Theirin might have been a proxy for some other feeling. Well, whatever minor and irrelevant feeling, it was certainly not inadequacy. What Henri-Julien had chosen to discard with regards his Templar training, Theirin had never even experienced having, as was so often overlooked, never been a Templar! Yet he said nothing of that to Daniel, an unfamiliar surge of allegiance preventing him from sharing his mockery of the other man with an outsider.

Maybe he should ask the healers to perform a check-up?

While Henri-Julien was musing over that particular thought, Daniel took the last mouthful of ale before rising to his feet. "I am in your hands Ser."

"Hmmf." The other Warden snorted but had the good sense to wait until Henri-Julien confirmed what was to be done.

"Go with Layton," he agreed. "I will meet with you again in an hour."

While Daniel went with Layton to the Quartermaster, Henri-Julien saw to the more immediate duties which required his overview, namely whatever he deemed as important. Though it was with some surprise that he glimpsed Bann Terrell near to the Warden-Commander's office. In fact, she was walking towards it, and appeared to have a stack of vellum in her arms. What in the world did that mean? 

This was a timely reminder that Vigil's Keep could not sustain another prolonged absence from him any time soon. Clearly, it all went to shit when he was not here.

Seeking out Daniel, he rejoined the newly joined Grey Warden. "Shall I escort you to the chapel now?"
The quarters were shared, as a Junior Warden he didn't get his own quarters, but, shared barracks was nothing new to him. He chose a bed by the window, that way he could look upon the makers work when he woke and when he slept. 

"Get your bunk made up." Layton told him "Today is your day tomorrow your duties will start."

"Which are what exactly?

"Whatever you are assigned." 

Daniel sighed and when Layton left he made his bed up and put his belongings in the footlocker. There was a single cupboard beside his bed which he hung the ne pair of clothes he had up in, and beside cabinet. He took his lyrium box out and ran his fingers over the box, opening it was a sketch of the Prophet Andraste he had done himself. He closed the box and put it in his footlocker, locking it. They had ensured he had enough for a month maybe two, after that he would have to find his own source of Lyrium.  When he was done he went to meet the other Templar. 

The use of blatant magic in the mess hall had caused him to wonder what in the name of the Maker was wrong with these people. It was all well and good having to accept the Wardens ways were not the ways of the Circle or the Order, but even so, such blatant disregard, had he been in Kirkwall and seen that he might have hauled them off to thier rooms as a lesson. He usually turned a blind eye to someone heating up tea or soup, but they were doing more than that maker they were literally reveling in thier perceived freedom, at least when the mages in the Gallows wanted to reheat a tea or something they made sure the Templar with them knew what they were doing. He put it out of his mind for now, this was already known by the Chantry, that the Mages had freedoms here that they would not have anywhere else, except cursed Tevinter. 

"Shall I escort you to the chapel now?"

Henri's voice moved him from his thoughts and he nodded "Please do and would you join me?" better to speak words of the chant with someone here who knew them than those who did not. "Perhaps you can offer some insight in, balancing what we have been taught to dealing with all this so i am in a better position to have a...open mind.

More at peace with himself than in the dining hall, Daniel nodded at Henri-Julien's question. "Please do and would you join me?"

Surprise lifted Henri-Julien's brows but he agreed after a brief hesitation. He did, after all, still hold a deep Andrastian faith. It was just the hierarchies and systems surrounding it with which he now struggled. 

He held out his arm, indicating the direction that they should walk. Daniel fell into perfect step with him, as any trained Templar would do.

"Perhaps you can offer some insight in, balancing what we have been taught to dealing with all this so i am in a better position to have a...open mind," the man remarked - and entirely without jest.

If walls could wheeze with laughter then the sudden whistling drafts through the ancient stone walls were exactly that. The last time that Henri-Julien had resolved to uncover a more open mind, he had somehow become entangled - emotionally and physically - with a Dalish apostate. He very much doubted that this stoic Kirkwall Templar anticipated that particular answer when he asked his question.

"It is not easy," Henri-Julien admitted, moving through the corridors without second thought. "It is a balance which each of us must determine within ourselves." Even within the Templars, there were varying attitudes towards magic. Henri-Julien leaned, or at least had, towards the harsher side of traditional beliefs. He distrusted magic, believed those who wielded it were accursed, but that it was the sacred duty of the Chantry to oversee their lives. Many of the apostates he had tracked likely believed him cruel and wicked. Yet he had never behaved beyond what was necessary to fulfil his duties. 

The doorway to the small Chantry lay ahead but Henri-Julien slowed. "I have heard many reports of the Gallows," he began, choosing his words carefully. "Tell me what you have learned of magic and mages from having serving there. Beyond our initiate studies, I mean." It was all very well that Daniel seek guidance to manage his feelings, but if they held very different views towards magic, it would be all the harder for Henri-Julien to help him find common ground.
"It is not easy, It is a balance which each of us must determine within ourselves."

Daniel listened as Henri offered his advice, it made sense he supposed, but he had no idea how long this man had been here, or for that matter, how long he had even been a Warden. Was he blighted? did he volunteer? Daniel willed himself to not ask those questions. Of course he knew about Therrin. The Knight Commander had briefed him on the former Initiate turned Warden. But she did not tell him about Henri-Julien. which made him wonder that she probably didn't know. Also meant that he doubted he could trust the other Templar, which was a shame really. 

"I suppose" he replied a little guarded.

"I have heard many reports of the Gallows Tell me what you have learned of magic and mages from having serving there. Beyond our initiate studies, I mean."

Daniel stopped walking with Henri and looked at him. He did not consider his answer any different to what any loyal Templar would give, and he expected most Templars to accept that in a place like Kirkwall, the Gallows needed to be just what was expected of a bastion of strength against the terrors of unsanctioned magic and demons and the like. 

"When i took my first draught at the Starkhaven Monastery, i was sent to the Starkhaven Circle for a few months, to settle me in. From there i went to Ostwick. Starkhaven i saw my first Harrowing. The first one went off as expected the second did not and my mentor and i cut down the abomination before it could run amok through the circle." His eyes remained fixed on the chapel door "In Ostwick two mages escaped. the first time it happened this mage unleashed fire at my friend and killed him. Cooked him in his armour. The second time it happened some months later two more mages escaped and one let fly with lightening killing my best friend and another brother." He features darkened and his jawline set tight "so i learned all i needed to know all about mages and magic before i even got to Kirkwall." He glanced at Henri, the darkness across his features falling away now "if mages do as they are told and follow the rules of the Knight Commander and her senior officers then they can. in limited situations and with the proper escort leave the Gallows to collect herbs and help in the community, that is usually reserved for those Mages who have shown they are able to be trusted.

Daniel shifted his stance a little he knew that other circles thought the Gallows too strict and too harsh to operate effectively, after what he had seen and done. he had welcomed such harshness. He deliberately omitted what had happened to the mage who had killed Lora and brother Silus. it was however what had led him to Kirkwall and eventually here, in this cursed place. 

"I learnt how to be a Templar in the service of the Maker and the Chantry." Daniel replied "Whatever stories you have heard about Kirkwall Ser Burrows is probably lies mixed with some truths. Not everyone appreciates the measures the Templars of the Kirkwall Circle have to take. I also have a cousin who came into her magic at a young age. I know not where she is but i would like to think that she has learnt all she needs to know in the safe arms of the chantry and the circle where she studies." He had not really thought much about his mage cousin. his mother had refused to even mention her name when it became apparent that her niece was cursed with magic. However it was a deliberate move on his part to mention it, no one needed to know the extent of the stricter views he held and he had to look amenable he supposed. He put his hand on the door and opened it then paused "and you? did your circle do the same for you?

It was a small Chapel candles and a medium sized effigy of the Prophet sat centre of the room as you walked in. Daniel closed his eyes for a moment letting the serenity of the place wash over him and calm him a little. Moving to the statue he moved to one knee and bowed his head. "Blessed Andraste, grant me the patience to accept this new calling in my life and grant me the will to remember that i will serve you in other roads." 
With no change of expression, Daniel offered his answer, assured and unwavering. "When i took my first draught at the Starkhaven Monastery, i was sent to the Starkhaven Circle for a few months, to settle me in. From there i went to Ostwick. Starkhaven i saw my first Harrowing. The first one went off as expected the second did not and my mentor and i cut down the abomination before it could run amok through the circle."

Pious origins, Henri-Julien mused, and had witnessed what no one save those who had experienced could understand was a truly horrific experience.

"In Ostwick two mages escaped," Daniel kept his focus on the Chantry door. "The first time it happened this mage unleashed fire at my friend and killed him. Cooked him in his armour." Henri-Julien fought against the urge to brush his fingers against the scarring on his leg, despite there being no outward clue of what lay beneath his clothing. Perhaps if he had not been in his leathers and the apostate so desperate to flee, he might have endured a similar fate. "The second time it happened some months later two more mages escaped and one let fly with lightening killing my best friend and another brother."

All at once, Daniel's expression darkened and his jaw tensed. "So i learned all i needed to know all about mages and magic before i even got to Kirkwall." He spared a glance towards Henri-Julien, his anger easing a fraction. "If mages do as they are told and follow the rules of the Knight Commander and her senior officers then they can. in limited situations and with the proper escort leave the Gallows to collect herbs and help in the community, that is usually reserved for those Mages who have shown they are able to be trusted."

Adjusting how he stood, Daniel fell silent for a moment. "I learnt how to be a Templar in the service of the Maker and the Chantry. Whatever stories you have heard about Kirkwall Ser Burrows is probably lies mixed with some truths. Not everyone appreciates the measures the Templars of the Kirkwall Circle have to take. I also have a cousin who came into her magic at a young age. I know not where she is but i would like to think that she has learnt all she needs to know in the safe arms of the chantry and the circle where she studies.

Apparently considering the question to have been fully answered, the other Templar reached out towards the door of the Chantry, before glancing back towards Henri-Julien. "And you? did your circle do the same for you?"

"Yes," was all Henri-Julien replied. Some of it was engrained ego: he had rarely shared anything of himself with initiates or fellow Templars, preferring to keep aloof from their petty and menial concerns. But a lot of it was wariness, well-hidden beneath aforementioned ego, that there was a great deal of turmoil within this particular Templar. To be a son of Starkhaven and having served in Kirkwall... those were two extremes which could not be reconciled easily, if at all.

The two men entered the chapel and took their place in front of the statue of the Bride of the Maker, kneeling in their shared piety. Daniel took the lead with the prayer.

"Blessed Andraste, grant me the patience to accept this new calling in my life and grant me the will to remember that i will serve you in other roads."

"Those who had sought to claim | Heaven by violence destroyed it. What was | Golden and pure turned black. | Those who had once been mage-lords, | The brightest of their age, | Were no longer men, but monsters," Henri-Julien intoned, the words of Threnodies 12:1 springing to his lips. Yet as he raised his eyes to the figure of Andraste before him, he could not help but wonder whether it was only the mage-lords who would destroy by violence. 

After a short while, Henri-Julien rose. He lit a candle and placed it at the feet of the statue before walking quietly to the doorway, waiting for Daniel to complete his own prayers. Once the other man joined him, he led the way back out into the corridor.

"You have freedom to visit whenever you wish. I doubt that you will find the space to ever be overcrowded." Something which Daniel would likely disapprove. In truth, so did Henri-Julien but he had grown resigned to the fact that the Light of the Chant was dim here. "Since I am to be your mentor, we should establish what you require to know. Have you hunted darkspawn yet?" Some Joinings involved it, others did not. His own had not. "It is wise that you witness what we must face. I will take you into the upper Deep Roads if you wish."
Daniel stayed a moment longer and then, getting to his feet, he lit a candle and set it at the statues feet "So let it be." he whispered and crossing his arms over his chest is a stylised X before bowing his head and joining Henri outside. 

"You have freedom to visit whenever you wish. I doubt that you will find the space to ever be overcrowded." 

Daniel sneered a little "Why does that not surprise me?"

In truth he expected no less from the Elves and the Dwarves he had seen here so far since his arrival, and he could not understand why they would not let the words of the Maker enter thier hearts, Andraste herself allied herself with the Elves. However, seeing as the Mages got to do what they wanted and those not of the faithful lounged around here. he was not surprised in the slightest that the Chant of Light did not touch this accursed place.

"Since I am to be your mentor, we should establish what you require to know. Have you hunted darkspawn yet? It is wise that you witness what we must face. I will take you into the upper Deep Roads if you wish."

"No," Daniel shook his head "I have not seen Darkspawn before" That was true enough, he had only heard in tales and from some descriptions from those who had survived the blight in the Order and what they told him sounded monstrous, but words would never accurately describe proper vision. "And i would appreciate that. When do we leave?" 

Daniel was happy to leave this place, even if it was for a short while. if he had an idea of what it was he was supposed to be fighting he could better adjust to what it was he was supposed to be doing here. As he walked with Henri he cast him a slight look "Do you like being here Ser Burrows?" He had noticed some things "I got the impression that you don't think much of some of the people here." He arched an eyebrow "Ser Howard for example." Well he had noticed that she got up rather abruptly when Henri entered the mess hall and gone to sit with other wardens.  He doubted anyone missed that and, in truth he was still trying to work out if Henri could be a potential ally or if he was better off working alone.