Children Say [Complete]

((OOC 25th Drakonis 9.35Dragon with  ))

Callum had arrived at his parents home the previous afternoon, and had gone into a meeting with his father and brother to not only let them know that they had a new dock and extra warehouse space, but that Anton had got a young lady from the Pearl in the family way. He told them both he had paid her off and smoothed things over with the Madame. However he could not guarantee that the mother to be wouldn't come looking for something more substantial. He was under no illusion that the child would be placed in the care of the chantry, it wasn't Antiva and not many brothels liked to have the children of thier workers running amok. 

Of course Liam had found it highly amusing that his little brother had even gone into a brothel to deal with the situation, given that he was not comfortable in those environments, Cal had made a face, he couldn't very well let his family know what he had had been doing. Liam and his parents wouldn't understand his actions and might have taken the business out of his hands if they knew that he had threatened to throw a fence's family to the slavers, As long as he kept up the pretence that he was a mild mannered guy who got embarrassed at the thought of being alone with a woman than it would work. Of course that then meant that Anton was summoned to Amaranthine and whilst Callum was catching up with his mother, Anton was being packed off back to Antiva to be dealt with by his own father. Magdalena had been grateful to her brother in law for dealing with the situation discreetly, Callum had just kissed the back of her hand had said "Family comes first."
Of course it benefitted him, he wouldn't have Anton questioning what he did and how he did it. Then of course his mother dropped a bombshell on him. he was to attend a Merchants Dinner on her behalf, and he was to be on his best behaviour. 

So here he was standing looking like a well dressed prized turkey, a glass of wine in his hand that he had barely touched. He was also acutely aware that some of the more in the know Merchants were looking at him as if he was someone to be watched. He had heard the whispers as he walked in, some had forgiven his father for his actions. they must have or else his family would not have been able to trade in the city, but some still it seemed had longer memories and more than once he had to bite his tongue at the snide remarks and just remained silent. Of course the wagging tongues silenced when news that Delilah Howe was due to arrive. The Bann herself. 

Callum knew of Delilah Howe-Terell, who didn't? the Bann of Amaranthine and the only daughter of the late Arl Howe, although he. like any other native knew you didn't even broach the subject with her. Still the reminder of who he had served in the battle of Ostagar caused him to run his finger down the scar on his face before he went back to watching the room.  Bored out of his box he actually started thinking about maybe one day doing here what he planned to do in Denerim. but shut that thought down, if anyone here even got an inkling of what he had done, he would find himself hauled before the guard and his family would be ruined. Something he was not going to let happen. 

"Cheese master Kennedy?" he turned to the waiter. 

"Does it taste of Despair?"He asked with a slight humorous tone, the poor man had no idea what he was on about but shaking his head he declined the offer, he wasn't hungry yet.  No right now he was looking for business opportunities and maybe a way to leave here, as soon as was humanly possible. 
The Merchant Guild in Amaranthine was a fickle beast, Delilah had found. Often, the merchants who had gained a vote were fair in face and foul in speech. Yet, as a whole, the Guild was good for Amaranthine, securing business which benefited many beyond the immediate trading partners. It was worth keeping the Guild on side, no matter how difficult some of them could be.

Hence why Delilah made an effort to attend the regular lavish dinners which the Guild threw for itself. She supposed, if such a comparison were to be allowed, that it was similiar in function to an Orlesian party. This was an opportunity for the leading merchants in the city and arling to discuss business, identify opportunities, and root out challenges. Even if all of the guests were smiling, it was rarely a laughing matter. There was none so serious as the business of the Merchant Guild.

Alas, to such a formidable event, Delilah had been forced to bring one of her two young children. Her husband was off on one of his travels, hunting down some rare object, while Asa had her own affairs to attend. Fortunately, her neighbour had agreed to look after Abigail, who was likely already fast asleep, but although they had also offered to take James, Delilah had not wished to take advantage of their good nature. Her son was a kind and generous soul... with enough mischief to fill the Waking Sea twice over. Besides, she had a strong suspicion that he and Ylsa had made an arrangement that James would come and visit her this evening, despite the fact that their little home was halfway across the city. No, best that James remain under his mother's watchful eye tonight.

All of which explained that when Bann Terrell was announced into the room, she arrived holding the hand of her noticeably disgruntled young son. It was clear not only by his expression but also the warning look which she directed towards him that Delilah had outlined precisely her expectations for his behaviour tonight. She released his hand and nodded to a quiet corner of the room, murmuring in his ear that she would arrange for a plate of food to be brought over.

His face pinched in a scowl, James knew better than to stomp, but he did drag his feet a little. However, his mood perked up a little as he caught sight of what James could only describe as a giant. He was taller than even Father! A little awed, James sank down on the plump chair in the corner, casting surreptitious glances towards the giant. He wondered if his hair turned to fire when he got mad. Was that a thing which happened to giants? Maybe. And he had a big scar over his face, too! That must have been from fighting giant killers. His frown deepened. The giant must have been so frightened by the people trying to hurt him. He didn't seem to be a nasty or mean giant. He was just standing there, on his own... Oh! That must be why he was on his own. He was a giant and all the other people here were scared of him.

Well, James wasn't scared! Besides, his mama was just over there if the giant did turn out to be mean. No one could argue things better than his mama. So long as James remained polite, he knew that she would make sure the giant understood it wasn't acceptable to be mean to him or anyone else in this room. That was part of her job!

Except his mama had told him to sit in the chair. James chewed on his lip for a moment, considering the dilemma. Suddenly, he folded his legs underneath him and knelt up on the chair, his boots carefully positioned off the fabric. He gave a furtive wave towards the giant. "Psst!" he hissed. "Psst! Mr Giant, ser." He gestured frantically while casting a look towards his mother who was speaking to someone. "I'm not scared, Mr Giant. If you want to come and speak to me, you can." He looked earnestly at the stranger. "No one will be mean to you if you're with me. My mama is the Bann. I'll tell her straight away if they say anything rude to you."
"Psst!"

Callum looked around him for a moment as he heard the almost quiet noise, wondering who wanted his attention, oh maker no don't let it be Doriana Jameson, he really did not want to be, led to a more secluded area where they could play find the pork.....

"Psst! Mr Giant, ser"

Callum looked around again then down to see a young man, no older than five gesturing at him, frantically. Cal looked round once more then pointed at himself, to which the boy nodded. 

"I'm not scared, Mr Giant. If you want to come and speak to me, you can." if anyone could have seen Callums expression they would have seen a man with a very perplexed expression written across his handsome features. He followed the lads seratipious gaze to where Bann Howe was talking with someone and realised that this must be her son. Why else would he be quiet in his gestures? No one will be mean to you if you're with me. My mama is the Bann. I'll tell her straight away if they say anything rude to you." well that confirmed that assumption. 

Callum set his untouched drink down and crossed to where the young lad was sat and crouched down beside the chair "You must be Master James?" he just as quietly said, well everyone knew who the Terell children were and everyone no matter what side of the fence they sat knew not to mess with them smiling to himself he bowed his head "it is a pleasure to meet you young lording." 

Callum looked around him and did something that noone else would have dared do, because it might have been uncouth or just not the done thing, he sat on the ground and crossed his legs, "My name is Callum," he held his hand out "Pleased to make your acquaintance young master" The amused half smile stayed on his face, the kid thought he was a giant who needed protection? how cute. 

Finally! The giant had heard him. Maybe it was difficult to hear things all the way up there when spoken all the way down here. Given how the giant crouched down beside the chair on which James was perched, that seemed to be an accurate assumption. James resolved to to tell Ylsa the very next time he saw her; they were going to go on lots of adventures when they were older, so it made sense that she should know about these things, too.

"You must be Master James?" The giant spoke quietly which must have been quite an effort given how big and booming his real voice probably was. Touched by the consideration of the giant, James nodded, braking out into a grin. He was accustomed to most people knowing him before he knew them, but he had never expected a giant would be one! His mama really must be even more important than James already knew. "It is a pleasure to meet you young lording."

Much to James' delight, the giant sat down on the floor. Now he was shorter than James sitting on his chair! This was amazing. Ylsa would never ever believe all of this. "My name is Callum," the giant held out his huge hand but James shook it without hesitation. "Pleased to make your acquaintance young master."

"Callum," the young boy repeated, tilting his head to one side. "That doesn't sound a very giant-like name." He shrugged, dismissing the thought. Maybe the giant used a more straight-forward name when he was among humans. Occasionally, James had overheard some of the elves from the Alienage, and they used words which his mama had explained were from their own language. But giants were very rare. It made sense that they would know not to use their own language when there were no other giants around. "I like it though!"

He bounced up and down on the chair, his former huffiness having dissipated entirely. "Do you know my father? His name is..." He took a moment to recall, his face scrunching up with the effort. "Albert! He owns the shop near the market." James could testify to this with great confidence: he often took off and wandered around said marketplace, much to his mother's constant agitation. "He's the best at finding things you never thought could be found." His face shone with delight. "But he's never found a giant, Mr Callum! I can't wait to tell him..." He trailed off, realising that he hadn't let Callum answer. "Oh, unless you have met him before?" Disappointment threaded through his demeanour. He so wanted to have something new and special to tell his father.
This was, the best fun Callum had had in ages. The lad was precious and if he wanted to believe that Callum was a giant, then a giant he would be. He listened as James continued talking being careful not to squeeze the young mans hand too hard. 

"Callum," the young boy repeated, tilting his head to one side. To Cal it looked like he was thinking about how strange his name was for a giant, and in the next breath the young man confirmed that, he was probably disappointed that the "giant" didn't have a giant like name.  "That doesn't sound a very giant-like name. I like it though!"

Sensing a little mischief was afoot here, Callum deepened his voice even more than it already was "My real name is Usmir.." He glanced at his fringe "Usmir Fire hair" he put his fingers to his lips and looked around "Can't tell anyone my real name Master James, its a secret shhhhh, only tell little people who we think will be friends, will you be my friend? not much fun being a Giant when people are scared of you, your not scared of me thought are you?

"Do you know my father? His name is..." Callum watched as James tried to remember the name of his father. He was also amused by the way the young boy bounced on the chair like there he had found something new to get excited about  "Albert! He owns the shop near the market"  Callum nodded a little as if he was seriously thinking about what the young lad was saying.  "He's the best at finding things you never thought could be found." James's face shone with delight. "But he's never found a giant, Mr Callum! I can't wait to tell him... Oh, unless you have met him before?"

Cal arched an eyebrow a little, yes he knew Albert, not personally but he knew off him, he was more an acquaintance of his fathers but, reading the boys expression he shook his head. 

"No, no never met an Albert, met a William once, and a Cordelia but never an Albert." He shrugged "No never ever met an Albert, nice name for your dad is that." Cal looked around at the people in the room, he snorted at one of the women in some fancy hat that had peacock feathers around the rim. He nudged the chair a little and said "Do little people all wear hats with birds in them?"  He looked around him once more "Would you like a ride on my shoulders?" Well if the kid was that excited about finding a giant, why not offer him to ride the giants shoulders "Then you can tell your dad you rode on a giants shoulders and could see for .. well very far
James gawped, entranced as Callum revealed his true giant name. Ylsa would never believe it! Carefully, he mouthed the name to himself, committing it to memory. Usmir Fire Hair. Now that definitely sounded like a giant's name! And it proved that his hair really was fire, just like James had thought. This was amazing!

But what was more exciting was what the giant revealed next. "No, no never met an Albert," he shook his head. James practically vibrated with excitement. "Met a William once, and a Cordelia but never an Albert." The giant rolled his shoulders. "No never ever met an Albert, nice name for your dad is that."

James bounced up and down, thrilled. His father travelled to so many exciting places but now James would have an equally exciting story that came from right here in the city! He could not wait to tell him.

Callum glanced around the room until something caught his eye. He poked at the chair James was sitting on and nodded to a woman. "Do little people all wear hats with birds in them?"

James had to press his hand against his mouth to prevent himself for laughing. He knew his mama would not consider making fun of a guest as being 'polite', but he also agreed with the giant. It did look silly! "Ssh," he warned his new friend, albeit with a beaming grin. "My mama will give you a row if you're not polite." It didn't matter if it was a friendly giant or a fire-breathing dragon, his mama did not tolerate rudeness. He knew that from (repeated) first-hand knowledge.

Looking around again, the giant seemed to heed his warning. He suggested something else instead. "Would you like a ride on my shoulders? Then you can tell your dad you rode on a giants shoulders and could see for .. well very far."

If James had possessed any talent for magic, it likely would have manifested in that moment. He would have self-combusted, so great was his delight. "Yes!" he exclaimed, loud enough to draw the attention of those standing nearby. Hastily, he ducked his head, waiting out the inevitable loss of interest which most of these people held. Already, even at his young age, he understood there were actually only very few people who were interested in him for his own sake. Fortunately, this giant seemed to be one!

Speaking out the corner of his mouth, James added, "but not here. Mama would kill us both." He remembered how she had reacted when he had climbed on top of a side table, and that was not even half the height of Callum! "Would you..." He chewed on his lip, desperation to play warring with the possible hurt of being rejected. "Would you ask my mama if we can go outside? I can't go without her permission."

As though on cue, Delilah approached the pair, holding a plate of food in her hands. She glanced between the two, easily recognising the barely restrained excitement of her young son, but unsure whether it was reciprocated by the young Callum Kennedy. She knew him by sight but had not spoken in person.

"Good evening," she smiled at the man, setting the plate on the floor beside the chair. "You two seem as thick as thieves."

"Mama, Mr Callum asked if we can go outside," James launched straight into his plea. "I said we can if ask, but we can go out, can't we? Just for a little bit. It'll be dark soon anyway. Please, Mama."

Gently ruffling his hair, Delilah looked to Callum, raising her eyebrow in that silent communication of adults which enquired whether he truly did wish to go outside. "There's a courtyard off from the next room," she remarked. "I'm sure you could go out there. But let's check that Mr Callum doesn't have other people he needs to speak with, alright? We wouldn't want to impact on his business."

James' face fell a fraction but he nodded. His parents had always emphasised the importance of having time to do their respective work. Equally, they had always ensured their time with family was never compromised. Even in his young head, James understood the different demands, even if he could not articulate the idea. He looked back to the giant. "Only if you're sure you have time, Mr Callum."
"Would you..." He chewed on his lip, desperation to play warring with the possible hurt of being rejected. "Would you ask my mama if we can go outside? I can't go without her permission."

Cal nodded and got to his feet as Delilah came over and bowed his head in respect to her position. He did manage to compose himself enough to look serious though not by much, honestly when he told James his "giant" name he thought the lad was going to explode with sheer joy at the thought of knowing something no one else did. 

"Good evening, You two seem as thick as thieves." Delilah said 

"Good Evening my lady" Cal bowed his head a little once more "Your son is delightful company." and before he could do as James asked, James himself came straight out and asked his mother what he had asked Callum to do, he must be more excited then he thought. 

"Mama, Mr Callum asked if we can go outside," James launched straight into his plea. "I said we can if ask, but we can go out, can't we? Just for a little bit. It'll be dark soon anyway. Please, Mama."

Cal saw the look that Delilah gave him, he had seen that look more than a few times before on his mothers face when she was doing her silent communication thing with his grandmother when he was James age. it was a look you never forgot.  He nodded once to let her know he was perfectly fine with this. 

"There's a courtyard off from the next room, I'm sure you could go out there. But let's check that Mr Callum doesn't have other people he needs to speak with, alright? We wouldn't want to impact on his business."

"Oh it won't impact on my business My Lady." he was certain of that, he was after all Stephen Kennedy's son, he was damn sure none of them would want to even talk to him, in fact he was on the point of leaving until James mistook him for a giant, so he saw no harm in acting like a big kid.  "I can assure you of that." 

"Only if you're sure you have time, Mr Callum."

"Master James, I am sure, and the courtyard allows your mother to see us so she knows that you will be safe." Callum explained and looked around him. He crouched down before James with his back to him "Piggy back young lording," and as a whisper added "its how Usmir shows friend." 

Truth be told if the people around here had something to say about it. well he was sure there would be some people who would say something about it and he already knew who and he already knew how to deal with that, but not under the nose of the Bann, that would never do and his mother would probably kill him before the jail cell door slammed.  He motioned to the window "I will keep him within your sight my lady, Ready young sir?

"Master James, I am sure, and the courtyard allows your mother to see us so she knows that you will be safe." Mr Callum assured James, prompting a beaming grin to spread across the face of the young boy. And he even knew to mention that his mama could check on them! Mr Callum must have had fallings out with his mother about what he got up to when she wasn't looking. That was quite a common occurrence between James and his mama.

Crouching down, the giant indicated that James should clamber onto his back. "Piggy back young lording," he explained before adding in a whisper too low for his mama to head, "its how Usmir shows friend."

Still, James cast a quick cautionary glance towards his mother, checking that she was also on-board with the piggy back. She did not look especially thrilled but she did give him a small smile and slight nod. Delighted, James hefted himself onto Mr Callum's back, his arms linked around the giant's shoulders and his legs clamped around his waist.

Mr Callum gestured to the window, speaking to his mama again. "I will keep him within your sight my lady." He spoke to James again. "Ready young sir?"

"Yes!" James practically squeaked, though he remembered not to bounce too much. Although, as he ducked his head to see down to the floor, he had fallen from greater heights... not that his mama knew about it, though.

Chortling in pure delight, James rode on Callum's back through to the courtyard. His eyes lit up as he surveyed this new vantage point. "This is so high!" He marvelled that anyone could be this tall. "Don't you hit your head a lot, Mr Callum?" He would not risk using the giant's real name when they could be overheard by someone.

He lifted his head to study the lines of the building. Fearless, James was already developing the sharp eye of someone who could - and would - climb any structure, seemingly achieving the impossible. "Mr Callum," he breathed, pure mischief rising to the surface of his mind, "do you think you could boost me up onto the roof?" He pointed at the banner unfurled over the building from the rooftop. "I bet I could untie that if you did."
"This is so high! "Don't you hit your head a lot, Mr Callum?" 

Callum shook his head a little and glanced over his shoulder, before he set James down, and bending down lifted him up and over onto his shoulders so he could see the entire district. It helped that they were a little higher up but no doubt the young master would find some adventure to play in his mind. 

"Not until i was 14 young Master." Callum sighed "Then i did, until i learnt to duck"  

Cal was happy enough standing here, he saw the Bann turn her head in thier direction once or twice, he knew it was better to ask the mama and assure her, the amount of times he had got into mischief because no one thought to ask his grandmother or mother when he was James's age he could fill a book with. 

"
A friend of mine asked my grandmother if we could play in the city centre. My mama was away for the month so, my gramma said ok." Callum looked up at James seeing the same mischievous expression he must have worn when he was that age, when adventure was the purview of boys with over active imaginations. "We climbed up to the chantry roof and thought we were really really clever." Callum chuckled a little, a deep rumbling sound "Until i slipped on one of the slates and fell and broke my ankle. Gramma was...very very upset and very very angry." an involuntary shudder ran through him at the memory, She had been more than furious "She grounded me for six months." He pulled a face "I wasn't allowed out of the house.

"Mr Callum," James almost whispered, "do you think you could boost me up onto the roof?" He pointed at the banner unfurled over the building from the rooftop. "I bet I could untie that if you did."

Mischief was all well and good and Callum might, on a different day have not thought a second about it, however as he raised his gaze to where James was pointing and then saw the Bann he swallowed a little. It was a little high and whilst he had no reservations about the lad doing just what he said, he wasn't sure if causing the Bann to have a thousand little kittens on the spot was a good idea. 

"
I don't know about that Master James." he muttered "Your mother might see and i am supposed to keep you in my sight. if i upset your mother, my mother finds out about it and twists my ear off." However when he saw the expression on the lads face he looked around, what was the worst that could happen? "Alright but just unfurl the banner and get back down here. I don't want … giant skin as the next trophy om the city wall, promise me and i'll hoist you up and i mean a serious promise, a pinkie swear promise" 
How could Mr Callum say no when he had just shared with James that he also used to climb roofs?!

"I don't know about that Master James," the giant rumbled, suddenly struck with second thoughts. "Your mother might see and i am supposed to keep you in my sight. if i upset your mother, my mother finds out about it and twists my ear off." James cast a glance through the windows. How did his mama manage it? She always managed to find out even his most secretive plans!

His shoulders slumped in bitter disappointment. It was only for fun! And he absolutely knew that he could do it...

"Alright," Mr Callum relented, and James beamed in delight. "But just unfurl the banner and get back down here. I don't want … giant skin as the next trophy om the city wall, promise me and i'll hoist you up and i mean a serious promise, a pinkie swear promise."

"Promise!" James said at once, offering his little finger out and wrapping it around Mr Callum's much larger one. "I'll go straight up, untie it, come straight back." 

Accepting help from Mr Callum, James perilously stood on the giant's shoulders while he reached for the roof tiles, huffing and puffing as he strained for a proper hand- and foot-hold. Scrabbling upwards, he finally found purchase on the rooftile and stood properly on the roof. Giggling, if somewhat breathlessly, he scampered across the roof with a steady step to the banner, crouching down to untie just as he had promised Mr Callum.

Yet as he was examining the knots, a movement far below on the street caught his attention. He let out a small gasp, eyes widening in shock. Shuffling backwards, he fled back to where Mr Callum stood, practically falling off the roof into the man's arms. "We have to go help!" he insisted. "People are beating up a City Guard!" There had been countless occasions in which the City Guard had escorted James home after his wanderings so he recognised the insignia. "Quick, Mr Callum!"

Small and wriggly as he was, James soon proved why every care-giver struggled to contain him. He sprinted away from Callum, dodging around and through legs of the guests with an agility any adult could not rival, heading straight for the front door. Being the son of the Bann, when the guard saw him rushing towards it, he instinctively opened it without hesitation, assuming the young boy had some urgency or the other. Flying through the door, James raced headlong towards the brawl, heedless of the very real danger he was entering.
Callum was not sure what scared him the most, the fact the Bann's son was actually on the roof or that he stumbled and Callum ended up catching him, good job he did catch him was all he could think. The Bann's reach was far and his mother and father did not need any more bad publicity from this city and this would add to the fire.

"We have to go help!" the boy insisted. "People are beating up a City Guard! Quick, Mr Callum!"

Did this kid not have any sense of danger? before he could even move the lad was moving as fast as a nug when a dwarf was chasing it. Realising that he wouldnt be able to catch the slippery little eel. So, he gave chase and saw what James had seen.

A group of drunken louts, which relieved Callum more than he let on, obviously the hapless guard thought he could deal with a couple and that couples friends had joined in. Grabbing the kid he moved him to somewhere safe "Stay there!" He ordered him "I mean it James, stay there," 

Running over Callum lowered his head and grabbed one of the louts round the waist bringing him to the floor and punched him hard. He felt someone grab him and moved his head backwards hearing the groan as his rather hard head connected with the nose of the one who grabbed him. Callum got to his feet and rolled his shoulders.  He drove a well aimed boot into the face of the man he had just felled and the one he had head butted had got another punch leaving the two on the guard. 

"Come and have a go," Callum picked up the guards sword "If you think your hard enough, or i could just mention...Burgess." He didn't know if they would know, but last he heard it had been the talk of the taverns, still if reminding them of that got them to go away then he was happy. "What's it to be? and Maker make sure the boy stays where he is! He thought to himself. 
Just before James could throw himself at the nearest attacked, he felt something grab him from behind. He was all but whisked off his feet by Mr Callum who lowered him back onto the steps into the house. "Stay there!" he said in that same tone of voice as when his mama had reached the end of her patience. "I mean it James, stay there."

Hopping from foot to foot, James watched anxiously as Mr Callum entered into the fight. It looked much more dangerous than when he was play-fighting with his friends. A few of the attackers fell to the ground, groaning or bleeding. James let out a little whoop of pride that Mr Callum had turned the tide!

"Come and have a go," he challenged the others, brandishing the guard's sword. "If you think your hard enough, or i could just mention...Burgess." That made no sense to James but maybe it was a secret giant code which magically frightened adults. It seemed to work! "What's it to be?"

Just as James was about to launch himself to Mr Callum's side to support him, there was a clamour from inside the house. The brawl had not gone unnoticed - well, not when the Bann's son had hared across the room, closely followed by one of the tallest guests - and others were now readying themselves to respond to the threat, spilling down into the street and ensuring none of the drunken louts could try a second attempt.

Delighted by the outcome, James raced over to Mr Callum, tugging on his arm. "Mr Callum, Mr Callum, Mr Callum!" he chanted, eyes shining. "That was amazing! Can I hold the sword, please? I promise I won't hurt anyone! Please, can I?"

"I think that's one experience we don't need to have today," came the firm tone of his mother, arriving behind him. She looked to Callum, inclining her head in admiration. "Thank you, ser. My City Guard have enough to do without fearing for their well-being on a routine patrol."

Reaching out, she wrapped her arm around her son's shoulders, squeezing by way of reassuring herself that he was unharmed. Sensing her concern, even if he couldn't explain it, James lifted his face to hers, beaming up at her. "I think it's time we went home," she declared. "Say your goodbyes, please."

"Bye, Mr Callum!" James darted across and wrapped his arms around the giant's leg in a hug. He added in a whisper only intended for Callum's ears, "I hope I see you again soon, Usmir!"